So I’ve changed my blog name, I’ve chosen ‘no repetitive beats’ as a reference to the 1994 Criminal Justice Bill that prohibited the gathering of 20 or more people playing music that was “wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats”. I wanted something to reflect the musical theme of my blog and my interest in rave culture and electronic music. I’ve missed a week of 7 days 7 songs BUT i’m back, hope you enjoy this week’s choices…
- Ego – Burial, Thom Yorke, Four Tet – Three of my favourite musicians together was always going to create perfection and I can’t believe I haven’t found this song earlier. Thom Yorke’s haunting vocals over Burial’s deep basslines and Four Tet’s melodic beats is an absolute dream.
- Spies Are Watching Me – Voilaa – Shoutout to the DJ at this month’s Peddler Market for this one.Super funky with a really nice latin vibe.
- Housey Doingz – Lounge – Earlier this year I bought a random second hand record from a shop in Sheffield and it turned out to be a brilliant 90’s house/acid house EP. This song is my favourite from it, unfortunately my record player is back in Leeds now and I’m still in Sheffield but when I went home recently I got to play this again.
- Rainbow (Club Version) – Romare – I saw Romare at Phonox in London on Friday and he was fantastic, I really enjoyed his set. He played quite a few of his own songs which I loved, including this. Rainbow is my favourite song from his 2015 album Projections, he played the club version of the track during his set. The sound system at Phonox was really strong so it sounded amazing.
- Street Life – Purple Disco Machine – You’ve got to wait until just over two minutes for this to kick in but it’s worth it when it does.
- *Gemini Feed – Banks – Banks is back! It’s been a couple of years since her acclaimed debut album Goddess. I don’t think this song is quite as good as her singles from her first album but I like it and I have high hopes for her upcoming album The Altar, due for release in September.
- Brotherman – Detroit Swindle – This is the kind of song I can imagine being a huge hit every time it’s played in a club, it’s so dancey I love it.
*new music alert